Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Sirens of Titan

.
Two years ago my brother and I mad an agreement.  He agreed to read my favorite book and I'd read his.  The agreement was made when we were on vacation, in a pub in Austria, and frankly I never thought that I'd have to keep my end of the bargain because I didn't think he'd read Pride and Prejudice.
.
And then a few months ago Robby called me up to tell me that he'd finished Pride and Prejudice.  He told me that Mr. Bennet was hilarious (which he is) and that he'd be sending me a copy of The Sirens of Titan to read.  Well, a deal is a deal.  I put it off for a while because he never sent me the book, but when he came up for Christmas he had it with him.  So with no excuse left, I read it.  
.
It definitely wasn't the kind of book that I usually read.  It was very weird, written in the past but set in the future.  I'm not sure that I could sum it up very easily . . . parts of it are set on Mars, Mercury, and Titan (Saturn's largest moon), and it had a set of main characters that were not especially likable, which I guess is lucky because then you don't mind so much when life doesn't go as planned.  
.
I'm not sure that I'll be reading any more Kurt Vonnegut books, but then I don't imagine that Robby will be reading any more Jane Austen.  It was a fun experiment, however, and I'm glad that we made the deal . . . and followed through with it.
.
I've decided this year to use the blog to keep track of books that I've read.  So periodically you can expect book reviews to appear here.

No comments:

Post a Comment